Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy: yet another update (and other news)

In all honesty, I came across a bit of news a few weeks ago, but in the time since my review of The Limits of Control, I have been incredibly busy with classes/exams, work, and going home to see family. And last week saw the release of BioShock 2, a game I have been anticipating for quite some time. Thus, what little free time I could muster specifically during the past week was devoted predominately to playing it.

Anyways, the news concerns the release of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy. Apparently Best Buy has secured exclusive rights to the March 16th release, which will be coming in the form of a collector's tin (likely the same kind used for the collector's edition of Oldboy or the series Band of Brothers). Furthermore, as the link in the title mentions, the set will be on blu-ray. I think this is actually going to be a DVD/Blu-ray combo set, but I am not quite sure. In any case, the boxed set will be released in other stores on June 15th in standard packaging. Being both impatient and a collector, I will be acquiring the Best Buy limited edition and drafting a review as soon as possible upon its release.

In other news, I finished reading Roberto Saviano's Gomorrah and have had a chance to finally watch the film. I plan to watch the film a second time and explore the special features on the Criterion Collection release before I write my review. Before then, however, I will be writing brief theatrical reviews for Legion, The Wolfman, and Valentine's Day sometime within the next 48 hours.

Finally, I was browsing the upcoming releases for the month of March on Amazon.com the other night and noticed that John Woo's Red Cliff was among them - another film I have been anticipating for quite some time (since early 2008). Having actually devoted a great deal of time to studying the Three Kingdoms Era of Ancient China, I am a bit disheartened to hear that the film is not quite as historically accurate as one would hope, but then again most historical epics rarely are. The film's focus, as the title suggests, is on the Battle of Red Cliff (a.k.a. the Battle of Chi Bi).

It will be released March 23rd on DVD and Blu-Ray in two different versions: the 148-minute U.S. Theatrical cut and the 288-minute International (Original) cut. Naturally, I have my sights set on the latter.

Here is the U.S. trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment