Monday, October 19, 2009

Vengeance Trilogy Boxed Set - November 24th

Most people who know me are aware of my obsession with Park Chan-wook's Oldboy - one of my absolute favorites. However, I also enjoy (though admittedly to a lesser extent) the other two films (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance) from the director that comprise what has come to be known as "The Vengeance Trilogy." So, needless to say, I was ecstatic when I stumbled across the news that the trilogy was finally getting a comprehensive R1 (U.S./Canada) release. Sure, the films have been released individually (and Oldboy has had an outstanding re-release) here in the States, but what is coming in just over a month is a boxed set that boasts more features that any other release of these films anywhere in the world - even the Korean versions.

To give myself - and others - an idea of what is coming in this set, I took to comparing the listed features with the releases I currently have. Here is what I found:

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE
-All features from the original release are included.
-"The Process of Mr. Vengeance," which would appear to be a documentary on the production of the film.
-"My Boksu Story." Not quite sure what this is, but it is new to the release.
-"Jonathan Ross on Park Chan-wook," which should provide a great deal of insight on the director.
-Storyboards
-Soundtrack

OLDBOY
-All features from the 3-disc re-release are included.

LADY VENGEANCE
-All features from the original release are included.
-"Fade to White" version of the film. This is an alternate cut that has not been released in the States.
-Introduction to "Fade to White" version from director Park Chan-wook.
-3 separate commentary tracks for the "Fade to White" version. Though the 3 commentary tracks feature the same individuals as the 3 commentary tracks from the original version, I assume that they will be different in their content.
-"Style of Lady Vengeance," which is essentially a behind-the-scenes feature.
-Deleted scenes with commentary.
-"Director's Choice," which is a short recommended by director Park Chan-wook.
-Character interviews.
-"Lady Vengeance in Venice" featurette.
-Park Chan-wook, "Mr. Vengeance" featurette.

Also, a 32-page full-color booklet is included that contains photos and essays on each of the three films. One of the essays is written by Eli Roth (director of Cabin Fever and the Hostel films).

8-disc set for the MSRP of $49.99 (it will likely be $5-$10 cheaper, though). Though Oldboy is not receiving anything in the way of new features, I am still sold for the extensive features added to Lady Vengeance (my second favorite of the trilogy) and the 32-page booklet. The only thing missing is the first volume of the Oldboy manga and film cell insert that was included in the 3-disc release of Oldboy, which I would gladly surrender in exchange for this set (besides, who said I would not be keeping the versions I already have?).

Still, it gets even better. On November 17th, just one week prior to this release, Park Chan-wook's new film, Thirst, will be released on DVD.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i wiki'ed that junk and now I actually want to watch it. bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth checking out. If there's a Suncoast video, FYE, and/or MovieStop in your area, then you should most likely be able to find copies of the films. Barnes & Noble and Best Buy may carry Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance, respectively, but I do not believe I have ever seen Oldboy on the shelves at either store.

    Oldboy is the gem of the trilogy, though (and even though it's a trilogy, the films having nothing to do with one another plot-wise; they simply share a common theme). A U.S. remake is in the works with Will Smith in the lead role, and I believe Spielberg is set to direct.

    ReplyDelete